SEND Local Offer

SEND Report 2022-2023

In compliance with section 69(2) of the Children and Families Act 2014 and Regulation 51 and schedule 1 of The Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014, the governing body must publish a report on the school’s policy for pupils with SEND.  

Burnham Copse Primary School is a mainstream school. We provide a broad and balanced curriculum within a caring and secure environment. We have high expectations of all children and respond to each child’s learning needs, ensuring every child succeeds. Some children have barriers to learning that mean they require provision that is additional or different from their peers.  

Address Newchurch Road |Tadley | RG26 4HN
Telephone 0118 981 4498

Mrs Armstrong


Mrs Venn

Head of Wellbeing

Mrs Vatcher

What does it mean if my child has Special Educational Needs?

The Special Educational Needs Code of Practice 2014 states that a child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability that calls for special educational provision to be made for them. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty If they: 

Have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others the same age 

Have a disability that prevents or hinders them in making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream or post mainstream institutions. 

High quality teaching that is differentiated and personalised will meet the needs of the majority of children and young people. Some though, will need educational provision that is additional to or different from this. This is special educational provision under Section21 of the Children and Families Act 2014. We will use our best endeavours to ensure that such provision is made for those who need it. 

Admission Arrangements

Parents of children with a special educational need will apply for a place at Burnham Copse in accordance with the school’s admission policy 

How does the school know if children need extra help?  

At Burnham Copse Primary, children are identified as having Special Educational Needs (SEND) through a variety of ways, usually a combination, which may include some of the following:  

  • Liaison with previous school or preschool setting  
  • Child performing below age expected levels or equivalent  
  • Concerns raised by a parent/carer  
  • Concerns raised by a teacher  
  • Liaison with external agencies – e.g. for a physical or sensory issue  
  • Children with an EHCP already have many of their needs clearly identified. The placement at our school is a decision made by the Local Authority.  

How do I raise concerns if I need to?

Contact your child’s class teacher initially about your concerns. Appointments can be made with the SENCo by contacting the school. 

How will the school support my child?

  • The class teacher will oversee, plan and work with each child with SEND in their class to ensure appropriate progress is made in every area.  
  • Our SLT (Senior Leadership Team) and SENCo will oversee the progress of any child identified as having SEND.  
  • Children with SEND may have an I.E.P (Individual Education Plan) designed by their class teacher and SENCo to meet the needs of the individual.  
  • Support may be given by the class teacher or LSA working with your child either individually or as part of a group.  
  • Parents/carers will be updated with information at regular intervals showing progress made and setting new targets  
  • Class teachers are always happy to discuss a child’s needs 
  • An appointment can be made with the SENCo to discuss support. 

How does the school know if a child needs extra help?

Class teachers monitor the children’s progress continually and formally assess at key points during the year. As well as class- based assessment, we also use a range of external assessments such as Year 1 phonics screening  

The principle of early identification and intervention underpins our approach to identifying those children who need extra help. If a child is not making expected progress or has difficulties in a particular area of learning, interventions are put in place in order to help the child catch up; this does not imply that the pupil has a special educational need. 

At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive more specialised expertise. The purpose of this more detailed assessment is to understand what additional resources and approaches are required to enable the pupil to make better progress. In some cases, underlying needs may explain inadequate progress or challenging behaviour. Parents will be consulted prior to consulting an outside agency and the results of assessments shared with them. Where necessary, meeting with parents will be arranged to discuss support plans. 

Pupils who require additional and different support and who would not be able to make progress without it are identified as having a special educational need and are recorded as such on the SEND register. The school works closely with SEND children to build an understanding of the child’s needs and put in place strategies to support the child. The class teacher will meet regularly with the parents to review provision, these meetings may involve the SENCo and any outside agencies working with the child 

What support will there be for my child’s overall well being?

  • We are an inclusive school that holds a child’s emotional development and wellbeing as a priority 
  • The class teacher has overall responsibility for the pastoral, medical and social care of every child in their class 
  • The senior leadership team works closely with the class teacher to support all children in the school  
  • Our Head of Wellbeing who is also part of the SLT is a qualified ELSA (Emotional Literacy support assistant) and Thrive Practitioner 
  • We have a qualified children’s therapeutic counsellor who works with our Head of Wellbeing to support children whether in small groups or on a 1:1 basis. Children can be referred to the counsellor through discussion with class teachers and the SLT. Written consent is required before work with children can begin.  
  • The children’s counsellor is ably support by Colin – our therapy dog!  

Co-ordinator (SENCo)

The SENCo at Burnham Copse is Mrs Venn. She is responsible for:  

  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEN Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school. 
  • Maintaining a provision map outlining support in place for individuals and groups across the school. 
  • Maintaining the SEN records and liaising with class teachers in the drawing up of pupil learning plans, planning programs of support and setting individual pupil targets. 
  • Ensuring that parents are kept informed and involved in supporting their children’s learning. 
  • Liaising with outside agencies who may be coming into school to help support the children’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology. 
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEN achieve the best progress possible. 
  • If you would like to make an appointment with our SENCo please contact the school office.

SEN Governor

Governors are responsible for making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEN. The designated governor for SEN is Carryanne Williams who can be contacted via the school office.  

How are teachers in the school helped to work with children with SEN and what training do they have?

All teachers and teaching assistants have regular training to support them in meeting the needs of children with special educational needs. We also offer specific training to teaching staff providing personalised support programmes for individual children. Training providers we can approach include the Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language therapist, Occupational Therapists and Teaching and Learning Advisors, Outreach workers. 

How is the school accessible for children with SEND?

  • We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs and extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND. 
  • The school is laid out over two levels with a wheelchair accessible lift 
  • There is a disabled toilet on each floor which has wheelchair access 
  • The school has car park with a disabled bay 

How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

  • The school has a procedure regarding the administration and managing of medicines. Please see the school’s medical policy.  
  • Parents need to contact the school office if prescribed medication is recommended by healthcare professionals and needs to be taken during the school day. Any medication must be given to the school in the packaging that it was dispensed in by the pharmacy with the child’s name and administration information clearly shown. A form must also be completed by the parent.  
  • As staff, we have regular training and updates on conditions and medication affecting individual children, so that all staff are able to manage medical situations.  
  • There are designated members of staff who hold first aid qualifications which are updated regularly.  
  • The staff have yearly Epipen training. 

How will the school prepare and support my child when joining the school and transferring to a new school?

  • Children and their parents are invited to several ‘Stay and Play’ sessions before starting school. Each child has a Home Visit from the Reception Teacher. 
  • Information from pre-schools is sought. 
  • Part time attendance is arranged for some children starting school if deemed appropriate 
  • Children transferring in and out of the school are encouraged to have a ‘Taster Day’ prior to starting. 
  • Due to the location of the local secondary schools, children from Burnham Copse regularly use their facilities and therefore become familiar with the secondary schools long before starting there as a Year 7. 
  • Year 6 children attend taster days at the local secondary schools. 

How will the curriculum be differentiated to match my child’s needs?

  • All learning activities within class are planned and differentiated at an appropriate level, so that all children are able to access learning according to their specific needs.  
  • The class teacher, alongside the SENDCo, will discuss a child’s needs and what support will be appropriate 
  • Children with SEND will have access to the appropriate resources needed in order to help them make progress e.g. coloured overlays, Numicon 

How will we know if this has had an impact?

  • Ensuring that your child is making progress against national/age expected levels and that the gap is narrowing between them and their peers.  
  • By reviewing children’s targets and ensuring that they are being met.  
  • Through verbal feedback from the child, the parent and teacher to build a wider picture 
  • Through children moving off the SEN register when they have made sufficient progress – parents will always be informed if this has taken place.  

How will I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • You are welcome to make an appointment to meet with either the class teacher or SENDCo at any time throughout the year and discuss how your child is getting on 
  • Your child may have an I.E.P which will have individual targets. This will be shared with you on a termly basis as part of the parents evening 
  • If your child has complex SEND they may have an EHC plan. In such instances, a formal meeting will take place annually.  

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including trips?

  •  All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all children to be included on school trips. We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful and may discuss this in advance with parents. It might be appropriate for a parent/carer to accompany a child on a school trip, depending upon the child’s individual needs 
  • A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health and safety will not be compromised. In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity, then alternative activities that will cover the same curriculum areas will be provided within the school environment, wherever possible 
  • A child’s needs will be considered on an individual basis 

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

In order to enable us to support children in the best possible way we operate whole group sessions or bespoke support based upon the needs of both children and staff when necessary.  

Specific training by staff include Autism awareness, precision teaching, phonics teaching, dyslexia awareness, hearing impairment, attachment training and trauma.  

Outside agencies are brought in to deliver specific training where appropriate such as delivering occupational health programmes or medical interventions for health conditions.  

Who can I contact for further information?

Please contact the school office for further information about the school and to arrange a meeting. Telephone 01189 814498